Monday, October 5, 2009

Recommitting to the Blog - Update

So this was the second long term, unplanned, hiatus I've taken. I hope it will not happen again (but it will). I got behind updating my candidate evals and then the race was over very quickly after that. I've since moved to the South Loop and work had me out of town for two months which made things very busy. Ultimately I ranked my final choice of candidates as follows:
#1 Wheelan
#2 Quigley
#3 Fritchey

But I really, REALLY preferred the top 2 over Fritchey. But I'd like to see Jan Donatelli keep at it and run for an office in the future when she is more prepared. So all in all, a good result and I'm really glad Mike Quigley is the US representative from my former district.

What made me update with a post was a Facebook comment a friend made. It was right up the alley of what I wanted to do with this blog. Everyone seems to hate Daley, why? I have to admit, I don't have many concrete reasons - certainly not enough that justify my conviction that this city would be better off without him. So to get back into the swing of things I am going to to try to answer the question of whether Daley is good or bad. This is remarkably vague and subjective so I will try to apply a framework to my evaluation. This will also be a large undertaking but ultimately will be worth it. It will also likely not have a nice neat ending to it. Daley's in office, month to month, year to year, a cost-benefit analysis of his administration may result in conflicting results.